Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Decision made

Since we’ve arrived back the whole experience seems like it didn’t really happen, or at least it feels like we made it out to be bigger and worse than it was! I know that’s not actually the case, but it’s all calmed down a bit in my head. That said, I still feel ill thinking about that wind noise and remembering the worry about whether the boat would survive the pounding of the waves (lying in bed and seeing the waves crash over the hatches above me). But while I feel nervous, and my stomach churns thinking about heading out there again, I think I have managed to downplay it all a bit in my brain and I have to ‘get back on the horse’. Although even writing this makes me feel kind of weak at the knees… I know that I would really regret not sailing to Hawaii with Stu, and it’s not exactly something that I can come back and do again any time. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me and I don’t think I can let myself miss out.

A couple of random things have popped up in stuff I’ve read over the last few days too, which have given me food for thought. One was by a friend of mine about getting over a fear of his:


The other was a quote in a book about a couple who retired on a yacht – he wanted to but she didn’t, due mainly to fear of the unknown. Her daughters reminded her of this quote from a favourite book:

‘Come to the edge’, he said,
She said: ‘I am afraid.’
‘Come to the edge,’ he said.
She came.
He pushed her… And she flew.

I’m doing it for Stu, but mostly I’m doing it for myself.

So – looks like I’m sailing to Hawaii.

7 comments:

  1. Good decision Swesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racheal KerrisonMarch 05, 2010

    YAY!!!! So proud of you for making the decision, I know you will regret it if yuo don't do it with Stu, and as you said, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity!!! Stay safe and remember, you have your lover and best friend right by your side to help you through, together you guys can conquer anything xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The most dangerous strategy is to jump a chasm in two leaps'
    -Benjamin Disraeli

    ...and a couple more for good measure...

    'The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.'
    -B D

    'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'
    -B D

    'Bore: one who has the power of speech but not the capacity for conversation.'
    -B D

    'Always outnumbered, never outgunned.'
    -anon

    'Self trust is the essence of heroism'
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

    'For most people, mercy is a passion, for me it is merely good manners'
    -King Fisal

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!!!!

    Here is a quote that helped me come home after 10 weeks in hospital battling severe post natal depression, it is short and sweet but it says it all to me ...... "Leap and the net will appear"

    All our love and prayers
    Maria and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're awesome Kym!

    Most of us probably wouldn't have the courage and determination to conquer our fears, especially after the credibility of our fears was thrown in our faces like that!

    Goodluck and safe sailing :D

    We're thinking of you both,
    Luv Jill and Dave
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you decided to get back out there! Nothing like some rough times, so that you can appricaite the smoothing sailing when it comes along.

    ME

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy CorneliusMarch 10, 2010

    Hi Kym and Stu

    Found your description of the storm and subsequent events absolutely rivetting. Hope you find fairer weather when you next set sail for Hawaii. Being a boat person himself Barry is especially interested in all the technical stuff e.g. Stu's update 19 Feb. I'm still on holidays and Barry and I have spent a week circumnavigating Bruny Island then going over to White Beach (Nubeena). Thankfully for us weather has been really good. Keep your spirits up. Wishing you a safe journey. Wendy and Barry (Hobart)

    ReplyDelete